Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Crazy Quilt Journal BOM 2021

 Winter is always my favorite time to do a lot of handwork, and ribbon embroidery is one of my very favorites.  A long time ago I figured that I needed something I could do when the power went out. Something peaceful, something I could do all cuddled up by the woodstove under candlelight.  And hand embroidery fit the mood perfectly for me.  I decided to start with crazy quilt blocks since they seemed to be the best way to practice a wide variety of stitches and still be made into something useful.


This year I signed up to participate in the Crazy Quilt Journal Project. And What is CQJP?  It's a personal challenge to not only expand your own creative self, but promote crazy quilting and hand embroidery work through making 12 blocks in one year.  Anyone can join, just click the link "HERE" and requests to join the fun.  Love to see you there. 


I just finished putting together my first block.  This will be my first time using prints more then solids in my blocks.  I will be using this beautiful Layer Cake  called "Daybreak" @ Moda.  I may add a few solids here and there but overall it's going to primarily be made from this one Layer Cake Bundle.    


Next I need to pick out my seam stitches.  I purchased this book "Stunning Stitches" by Kathy Seaman Shaw.  It is FANTASTIC.  I highly recommend it.
  

And I'll also be trying some of the tutorials found in this book "Little Flowers" by Di Van Niekerk & Marina Sherdeva.  It's jammed packed full of lovely ribbon embroidery flowers that I can't wait to try. 

 You can find links to both of these books on the right sidebar.

I also will be ordering some of my beads from Fire mountain Gems.  I've used them for over 20 years and my grandmother many years before me.  They  always have great prices and lots of variety, and a huge catalog too.  

Enjoy!









  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you.